Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Off Balance


It's been unseasonably warm here lately. Beautiful sunny days stir something in me, make me itch to get outside and work in the dirt. But it is way too early to work in the garden. I've planted leeks and parsley indoors under lights, and still have parsley, kale, and leeks in the yard, lying dormant, but the weather is telling me it's spring when it isn't. So after walking the dog yesterday (she loves to walk, in spite of the blindness) I started working on edging the walk and driveway, something we have neglected since we moved in here ten years ago. I made a small dent, but it will take a few more days to get everything in shape, so I have my work cut out for me if this warm weather continues. Other things I thought of to work on: turning and relocating the compost piles and cutting down the growth at the back of the yard. Nothing that will disturb the soil. Checking the long term forecast, I don't see any more days in the fifties, so this may all be moot anyhow.

All this warm weather has got me feeling a bit out of balance because where did winter go? Don't get me wrong, I don't miss high heating bills and feeling like I'll never be warm again. I just feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle, like I've slept too long and fast forwarded through part of the year. Isn't that just like samsara? It's always too hot or too cold.

The puppy wants to go outside all the time, too, and since our yard isn't fenced and she is blind, I have to accompany her on every trip, thinking she has to potty when all she does is wander around, sit on the driveway and scratch herself.

My Texas sister (as opposed to Indiana sister and Arizona sister) called over the weekend, and she has bought her plane ticket for her weekend visit in February. I am so excited! Now I need to start planning some fun stuff to do, and start cleaning out the guest room, which is currently overflowing with the dog's stuff and my recycled fabric stash. Guess where she wants to visit? Trader Joes! They don't have any Trader Joes in Texas, I guess. Don't worry, we'll also be visiting the IMA, Eiteljorg, and Botanical Gardens. Mostly I will just be thrilled to have her all to myself. As charming as her children are, it will be nice to have some one on one time with her. I can't remember the last time we did that.

Heard from a friend who is having back problems and said I'd do some Medicine Buddha mantras for him. This is the second time this month I've made that promise and it got me thinking that I should be doing them regularly for the whole suffering world. TADYATA OM BHEKHANDZYE BHEKHANDZYE MAHA BHEKHANDZYE BHEKHANDZYE RAJA SAMUDGATE SVAHA

No comments:

Post a Comment