Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lhakar Pledges and Losar Preparations


I have been thinking about this blog entry for a long time, but have been very busy with Losar (Tibetan New Year) preparations and study. This morning I am waiting for this headache to dissipate so I thought this would be a good opportunity to write about my Losar preparations.

Why observe Losar at all? I am an American of European descent, not Tibetan, and my family is not Tibetan either. The answer comes down to how I choose to live my life. For a practicing Buddhist in the Tibetan/Himalayan tradition, many of my religious observances are based on the Tibetan lunar calendar, so it has great significance to me. In many ways, Losar is more meaningful to me than Western holidays. It is one of the guideposts I organize my life around, and a time to reflect on goals for my personal and spiritual life. I think I also observe it out of gratitude for the blessings and happiness Buddhism has brought to my life, and for the Dharma family who accompanies me.

There are a few conundrums involving Losar. The first is, of course, the tragedies occurring on a daily basis in Chinese-occupied Tibet, which is a police state where human rights are regularly trampled and freedom, particularly religious freedom and freedom of speech, is non-existent. Most people have heard of the self immolations by monks, nuns, and laypeople, which are sadly the only means of protest available to them, and one of the few ways to bring the attention of the West to the tragic plight of the Tibetan people. In light of this, the Kalon Tripa, leader of the Kashag or Cabinet, part of the executive branch of the CTA, the Tibetan government in exile, has asked Tibetans not to celebrate Losar. You can read about his Losar statement here. So on Losar proper, the very first day of the year, I will be observing precepts, which, among other things means no meat, onions, garlic or eggs, and no meals after lunch. Also, no singing, dancing, secular entertainment or adorning oneself. As much as possible, I will devote myself to religious practice that day. Also, there is no celebrating Losar, only observing.

Which brings me to the other conundrum, which is that the first two weeks of the new year are very auspicious for religious practice, which itself runs counter to celebrating. This one I resolve through my sisters visit. The first day, as I said, I will observe precepts and “fast”, but the following day when she arrives I hope to relax and enjoy her visit. Once she leaves on Sunday, I will be back to trying to keep precepts as much as possible.

My friend TMC of The Buddhist Home started sharing her Losar preparations a few weeks ago. I'd already been thinking about lhakar pledges, the pledges Tibetans make to try to preserve their culture and society in exile. You can read about lhakar pledges at lhakar.org . Some pledge to speak only Tibetan on Wednesdays, His Holiness the Dalai Lama's soul day, or wear Tibetan dress on that day. Others pledge to boycott Chinese goods. In addition to avoiding Chinese made products as much as I possibly can, I decided to finally sew a chupa (Tibetan dress) for myself as a first step. The ready-made brocade chupas for sale at Tibetan bazaars never fit my zaftig self, so it was up to me to sew one or order a custom made one from India. Being perpetually broke, and generally liking to sew, I chose the former. I borrowed a ready-made one from our center, and did my best to copy it. I used a plain navy suiting fabric with a subtle herringbone pattern for the first chupa. I have some nicer fabric, not brocade, but silky navy fabric with a sakura, or cherry-blossom pattern printed on it. I wanted to make the first one out of something I wouldn't be distraught over if I made mistakes, and I made quite a few! I am not an expert at drafting patterns, but I enjoy it. Making this chupa has been the first creative thing I've done all year, and also how I have inaugurated my new sewing machine. It has taken me a week, but it is finally done. I'm working on the blouse now, hopefully I'll have it done today. I think the next chupa will go faster, now that I have a bit of experience. I'll take a bit of a break, though, because I'm afraid I will get burnt out on sewing.

I purchased clementines, a pineapple, and a few pounds of butter for the Losar altar. I also started a few pots of wheat grass, which are traditional and represent newness and freshness. I plan to take one to our Buddhist center. They are growing very nicely. Hopefully I will get a picture of our simple altar and post it here on my blog.

My (Texas) sister is coming on the 23rd, this Thursday, just in time for Losar, which officially begins tomorrow. So in addition to the traditional Losar house cleaning, I am also cleaning for her and preparing her room. She will get to try yummy Tibetan foods like desi, kapse, momo and sha palay. Her family in Texas only enjoys traditional American-type foods, so it will be a new experience for her. I also want her to meet my teacher at the Buddhist center. Hopefully we can make a tradition of this visit and she can come every year for Losar.

New clothes are also traditional for Losar, so my husband got some new shirts, and I have the chupa. Our Buddhist center has a clothing drive for children in need every year for Losar, so I brought some items of new clothing to donate. I bought things for older, bigger kids, because I think they are often forgotten because “children” conjures up pictures of the very young ones.

Today I make kapse, Tibetan/Himalayan fried pastries, not as sweet as Western pastries, but I have a special fondness for them. They are wonderful for dipping in tea or coffee, and for sharing with friends. Hopefully I will also study, finish sewing and cleaning and be ready to enjoy my sister's visit when she arrives Thursday afternoon. I am so excited!

Well, the headache is gone and I'm beginning to feel guilty about not working or studying, which is my cue to get a move on. Have a wonderful day. May all beings be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment